Monday, July 30, 2018

Killer Clown Movie Marathon

As I said in a previous post, I am not-so-patiently waiting for the Halloween season to officially begin.  To tide myself over, I've been watching a LOT of horror movies, which led to a mini marathon dedicated to KILLER CLOWNS!  If you suffer from coulrophobia, you might want to stay away from these three picks.  None of these movies are really what I would call GOOD, but I enjoyed watching them.  If you're not afraid of spoilers, check below to see a brief summary and where you can find these little gems.

SPOILER ALERT!!

1. Clown (2014)---When the clown hired for Kent's son's birthday party cancels, the family momentarily panics.  Luckily, Kent, a real estate agent, is at one of his recently foreclosed properties when his wife calls with the news.  He just happens to find a clown costume in an old trunk, puts it on, and saves the party.  But, when the costume refuses to come off, Kent and his wife get stuck in a race to save his life...and his humanity.  Because, as you'll find out, the suit isn't a costume at all!  As of right now, Clown is available on Netflix streaming, so definitely check it out if you're a subscriber.  While the movie wasn't spectacular...it was interesting.  The story behind the movie is pretty cool---a couple of guys made a fake movie trailer, slapped Eli Roth's name on it as a joke, and put it up on YouTube.  Eventually, Eli Roth saw the trailer, liked it, and reached out to the guys to actually get the movie made!  It is a little gory, and if you're flat-out adverse to children being killed in horror flicks, you might want to stay away from this one.  However, its worth the watch if you just want something a little non-traditional to watch.  I'm NOT a fan of gore, but I do love when movies create a mythology and/or back story to explain the monster, and Clown does this very well.

2. Stitches (2012)---Since I watched Clown, Netflix suggested that I give Stitches a shot...and I'm glad I took the suggestion.  This is another film that is nowhere near an award-winning cinema experience, but it was a fun ride.  When the world's crassest clown performs at a birthday party for the world's brattiest, most foul-mouthed kids in the world, things end poorly.  The clown ends up dead, and the kids traumatized.  Flash-forward to six years later.  The kids, now teens, decide to throw a party for the previous birthday boy, which brings back the spirit of the clown.  Stitches, now risen from the grave, goes on a killing spree to take out each kid who was at the original party.  This is another movie where there's an interesting smattering of mythology involved to explain (and defeat) the monster. Again, not the world's greatest film, but it was pretty darn funny in places.  It was definitely...creative.

3. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)---I wrapped up my mini marathon with a classic. When I was about 8 or 9, this movie came on HBO, I believe.  I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen at the time. I think a big part of it was that I felt like I was sneaking around, watching a 'grown up' film and not even being scared.  Re-watching it as an adult, however, well, lol.  It's still a really fun, cheesy movie to watch, with one of the greatest title songs in film history.  It all starts when a mysterious 'asteroid' crashes to earth.  When a young couple (and previously, an old man and his dog) go looking for it, they don't find an asteroid.  Instead, they find a circus tent filled with killer klowns from outer space, of course.  The clowns invade the town, turning the citizens into cotton candy pods and generally pissing off a grumpy veteran cop. Hilarity ensues, until the heroes save the girl, stab the head clown in the nose, and blow up the circus tent spaceship.  I found this one on Hulu, and recommend it if you need a good, 80s cheese-fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment